Adding a user to LDAS
These instructions describe how to add a user to the LDAS system at UWM.
People following these instructions are expected to be familiar with
interacting with the APIs on their emergency ports. You also need to know the
manager key for the LDAS system which can be obtained from Duncan.
There are two types of LDAS user at UWM: regular users (people who only wish
to issue guild queries, etc.) and shared object developers. Adding a regular
user is simple and only involves steps one and two of these instructions. Shared
object developers need to be added to the automount files of the machines
where the APIs are running.
- Creating an LDAS account. From any machine telnet ldas.phys.uwm.edu
10002. You should see the following response:
[duncan@antares duncan]$ telnet ldas.phys.uwm.edu 10002
Connected to ldas.phys.uwm.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
There is no prompt, but the system is ready for commands. Issue the following
MGRKEY mgr::addUser name password email fullname phone expires
where MGRKEY is the manager key. The other fields should be filled in
- name Users LDAS username, e.g. ballen
- password The users chosen LDAS password.
- email A valid email address for the user, e.g.
- fullname The users full name in double quotes, e.g. "Bruce
- phone A contact phone number. I have not been filling these in with
valid data, as we don't use them, so you can use some random phone number like
- expires An expiration time for the account in seconds since the
Epoch (00:00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970). We are not setting expiration times, so
this can be set to a large number, typically 2114402400
- Add the user to the ldas-uwm mailing list using the
- For a shared object developer, add the user to the automount files on the
machines that run the APIs. For the linux side these should (eventually) be
served by NIS from uwmlsc, but for the moment add the user to
You will also need to add the user to /etc/auto_home (note the
underscore) on ldas.phys.uwm.edu. This enables all the APIs to see the users
$Id: adding_an_ldas_user.html,v 1.7 2002/09/16 17:33:30 duncan Exp $