NUTs On The Cluster
How It Works
- A UPS is plugged into the wall outlet via 30 Amp power cable.
- The nodes are plugged into power strips which are connected to the UPS.
- A serial cable connects the UPS to the server node. The client nodes communicate to the server node across the network.
- Power Failure
- The UPS loses power from the 30 amp outlet.
- "On Battery" signal is sent to the UPS server over the serial cable.
- UPSD status is changed to "On Battery".
- Clients running UPSMON periodically check the status of the UPSD.
- If after 2 minutes the status remains "On Battery" the nodes will shutdown.
- Configuration Notes
- upssched.conf is the config file for the timer used in shutting down the nodes. It is located in /etc/ups
- If the last message the clients recieve is "On Battery" and the network goes down, the nodes will shutdown after 2 minutes.
- Driver file (tripplite), upsmon and upsd are located in /usr/sbin
Diagram of NUTs Setup On the Cluster
View the image in Postscript or in PDF format.