LSC-Virgo Burst Analysis Working Group
Review Committee Meeting Monday 1 May 2006 09:00 PST / 12:00 EST
Minutes: Monday 1 May 2006 09:00 PST / 12:00 EST
Agenda and Contact Info
- Summary of items requiring review prior to the June LSC meeting.
- Continue the review of the S2-S3-S4 GRB-GWB search with focus on
details of the analysis and tuning choices
[ HTML ]
AccuConference teleconferencing service:
Phone: 1-800-704-9896, participant code: 038621#
International callers ++1-404-920-6472 with same code
- We discussed the reviewing goals prior to the June LSC meeting.
- Papers that may be presented to the LSC include:
- S2-S3-S4 GRB-GWB search (draft available).
- S4 LIGO-Only Untriggered Search.
- SGR 1806-20 Search.
- Possibly other technical papers.
- There should be some presentation to the LSC on the S5 LTA analysis.
- Summer meetings are MG (Steve Fairhurst will be giving the Inspiral
+ Burst presentation), LISA symposium, AAS, Elba (Patrick Sutton will be
giving a coherent analysis methods only talk). May not be any need to
review new material for summer conferences.
- Other reviewing priorities (not in any order):
- Excess Power
- Q Pipeline
- X Pipeline
- Cosmic Strings
- Coherent WB (need to appoint a new external code reviewer -- Keith
will continue until end of summer)
- LIGO-GEO (expect a technical methods paper prior to Aug LSC, but
it could turn into a results paper because can look at higher frequencies
at sky locations optimally oriented for GEO and get comparable LIGO
- LIGO-AURIGA (status?)
- H1-H2 Null Stream Analysis (after LSC meeting)
- Need guidance from group how to pipeline these reviews. Is it a
good idea to parallelize the review? Will consider this, but inclination
is to review things largely sequentially for now.
- Soumya will compile correspondence and evaluations of statistical
methods to form the basis of documentation on algorithm choices for the
GRB-GWB analysis. Still required:
- Description of why binomial test is capable of detecting a population
while a test of just the most significant or two events is less capable.
(Might be part of the correspondence Soumya will provide.)
- Input, output, and intermediate data products so we can do a
detailed examination of the search pipeline.
- Discussion on source model (linear vs. circular polarized).
- Segments with injections to be analyzed in the same way as
segments without injections.
- Possibly additional simulations (e.g., kludged BNS merger
- Detailed investigation as to why limits vary during runs ...
not always due to sky position of GRB. (E.g., compare H1-L1 limits
with H2-L1 limits for a given GRB, or H1-H2 limits for various
GRBs within a run.) Need a way to estimate the sensitivity of the
- Identification of short GRBs -- should these be treated as a
- Better understanding of why performance degrades for CC durations
less than 25 ms.
- Accounting of systematic errors (e.g., from calibration phases
in the search, phases and amplitudes in the simulations).
- Investigation into why whitened spectrum doesn't appear white
below 70 Hz.
- Further investigations into transitions between whitening segments.
Overlay whitened data where the segment boundaries are chosen to be at
- Luca will update webpage to current state of SGR1806-20 analysis.
Will also put in intermediate results, code, input files, etc. Still need
to decide if data cuts should be used in the on-source region. (Simulations
suggest they can be used safely.)
- In general: intermediate products, investigations, etc., for all
searches should be available. Posting on the burst group enotebook is a
good way to make these available.
$Id: minutes-2006-05-01.html,v 1.3 2006/05/02 16:15:00 jolien Exp $