Review Committee Meeting Monday 26 February 2007 12:00 Pacific / 15:00 Eastern
Minutes: Monday 26 February 2007 12:00 Pacific / 15:00 Eastern
Agenda and Contact Info
- Brief report on status of the GRB paper.
- S3 LIGO-AURIGA paper
InterCall telecon service:
Phone: 1-866-380-5536, participant code: 435 672 9587 #
International callers ++1-816-249-4731 with same code
International access numbers (~10 cents/min surcharge for LIGO Lab):
Paris 017 080 7156 ;
Lyon 042 603 0036 ;
Germany toll-free 0800 182 1591 ;
Berlin 030 726 167 371 ;
Rome 00645 217 080 ;
UK toll-free 0808 234 7914 ;
London 0203 107 0293
Handy participant command: Press *6 ["*M"] to mute, #6 to unmute
- GRB Status: Isabel still working on draft. Nearly done.
- LIGO-AURIGA Search:
- Laura gave an overview of the search:
- Project Summary [ HTML ]
- More Material [ HTML ]
- Technical Document [ PDF ]
- Discussion of correlated background: remove correlated time slides.
Some concern about the reliability of the background.
- Independence of background estimates affects the uncertainty in
the background but not the background estimate itself.
- Is it possible that a time slide contains a different AURIGA
trigger? If so, how often?
- What if there are a number of GWs in the data. Are they actually
excluded from the background? Answer: there were 31000 AURIGA triggers
so GWs would only make a very small fraction. But if there were a
strong GW signal in, say, H1-H2. How many background events would this
- Software injections: AURIGA estimates a 1-sigma uncertainty using
an internal Monte Carlo. Typically around 17 ms; as high as 40 ms. But
CorrPower takes 100 ms around trigger time, so this dominates. AURIGA
algorithm is tuned for signals lasting less than 10 ms.
- Unknown lines in AURIGA spectrum. Adaptive algorithm to track lines
but cannot account for short-term variability. Lines are notched out
with a 1 Hz wide notch. Still expected to contribute to the trigger rate.
Question about the line that seems to be shared between AURIGA and H2 at
around 865 Hz. Not clear what this line is in either instrument.
- Epoch veto used by AURIGA: is it safe? Can a GW contribute to the
out-of-band power? Safety has been checked for signals with SNR up to
100. Are these for SG signals or for Gaussians? These are for Gaussians.
- Antenna pattern plot: what exactly are "latitude" and "longitude"?
These are locations on the sky corresponding to the local vertical of
a point on the Earth at the specified latitude and longitude. Latitude
is measured N of equator and longitude is measured E of Greenwich.
Need to check these responses.
- Calibration uncertainties: estimate AURIGA calibration uncertainty
of 10%. How does this affect the result? Is this a 10% scaling in
the UL? Not clear because the CorrPower threshold is used to constrain
the final events, not the AURIGA threshold.
$Id: minutes-2007-02-26.html,v 1.2 2007/03/05 16:31:45 jolien Exp $