Review Committee Meeting Monday 26 March 2007 12:00 Pacific / 15:00 Eastern
Minutes: Monday 26 March 2007 12:00 Pacific / 15:00 Eastern
Agenda and Contact Info
AgendaNote: this will be a short meeting.
- Introduction of new members
- Discussion of reviewing for the next month ...
- Close-out of S2-S3-S4 GRB search
- Feb 1 Event
- APS -- List of talks [ HTML ]
InterCall telecon service: Phone: 1-866-380-5536, participant code: 435 672 9587 # International callers ++1-816-249-4731 with same code International access numbers (~10 cents/min surcharge for LIGO Lab): Paris 017 080 7156 ; Lyon 042 603 0036 ; Germany toll-free 0800 182 1591 ; Berlin 030 726 167 371 ; Rome 00645 217 080 ; UK toll-free 0808 234 7914 ; London 0203 107 0293 Handy participant command: Press *6 ["*M"] to mute, #6 to unmute
- New reviewers are Raffaele Flaminio (chair from Virgo) and Patrick Sutton.
- Near-term reviewing:
- AURIGA-LIGO is less pressing than other items at this time. Need to put this on hold.
- Jolien has asked for a few things to be done with the GRB search.
One item is that it needs to be demonstrated that the search is capable
of detecting a NS/NS or NS/BH signal. There was resistance to including
the statement that the search algorithm is not designed to target these
signals. Worry is the presence of the broad-band inspiral may make any
sensitivity statements unrelyable.
Options are: (i) clearly indicate in the paper that the search does not target binary inspirals and that the sensitivity to such systems has not been assessed, or (ii) do some inspiral injections to see what happens.
Suggested that if the search is going to be used for GRB070201 then it makes sense to evaluate the method with inspiral signal injections.
- Discussion of presentation of GRB070201 at APS meeting as part of
Isabel's talk. There wouldn't be any corresponding inspiral statement.
Should there be any discussion? Suggest raising the issue with the
AnalysisComm or the Executive Committee.
Note: burst group has since decided not to present GRB070201 results
- High priority item is the GRB070201 paper which has a ~12 week horizon. This will be a joint paper with the inspiral group. Our focus will be to review results for this paper. In the process we will finish the review of the S2-S3-S4 GRB search paper.
- What about APS meeting? Requests for "new results" for the
S5 GRB, S5 WBCP, CWB, and BN searches.
- Default is to present material approved for general use prior to GWDAW, or material approved for publication since then.
- For S5 GRB results: reluctant to present these. There is no paper written containing these results. It is not yet clear what method will be used for the S5 GRB search. Review committee is reluctant to spend time reviewing material for a conference that will not materialize in a paper.
- For S5 WBCP: same issues.
- CWB: new material will not be reviewed prior to APS meeting.
- BN: not yet clear exactly what would need to be approved.
- Possibility of scheduling a second weekly review call: Jolien will look into arranging more reviewing time.