Review Committee Meeting Monday August 17 2009 08:00 Pacific / 11:00 Eastern
Minutes: Monday August 17 2009 08:00 Pacific / 11:00 Eastern
Agenda and Contact Info
- Plan to finish all-sky paper
- Pulsar glitch review kickoff
On EVO use "bersten" to get in, or phone bridge ID 37598 and "6519" to get in.
- Present: Owen, Katsavounidis, Clark, Heng, Kanner, Hughey, Shawhan, Klimenko, Messenger, Sutton, Flaminio
- News about Siong replacing Patrick hasn't gotten to everyone. Ben will announce.
- These telecons have been LIGO only, but after glitch review Virgo will be involved in all analyses and need to be on reviews too.
- S5y2/VSR1 all-sky searches
- Omega uses cat3 vetoes, others use cat2. This is OK for upper limit as long as we say what we did. A few percent improvement from re-running CWB on cat3 is not worth months of delay getting the paper out. But for S6 we should plan these things to be consistent from the beginning.
- Analyses still need to generate upper limit numbers, depending on final live times etc. Up to 2 weeks for that to be done.
- Paper review needs to get going ASAP. Sergei will write in placeholders for missing numbers in next few days, then ping us. We'll then have people from the review teams make a first run through the paper, with about a 1-week turnaround. Then review committee and group should look. Deadline for September consideration is send to LSC/Virgo by Mon Sep 14, that is very soon!
- Pulsar glitch search
- Physically interesting search for advanced IFOs, good to develop and try out even though we can't see anything yet. Short and sweet analysis, simple code, might even make crazy Christmas deadline.
- Review team looks fine in terms of analysis, coding, and reviewing experience. Could use more on science side.
- Related point: Converting GW energy (observable) to displacement (non-observable) is highly uncertain and of limited use. Interesting to report GW energy and ratio of GW to glitch energy, analogous to SGR papers. Andrew Melatos or Ian Jones might be able to think of further observables to infer in a robust and model-independent way. Ben will ping
- Raffaele can make time slot normally, most Virgo folks too. Will announce to Virgo reviewers that it's time to start attending.
- Pulsar glitch search is last remaining LIGO-only one, can flag those telecons.
- There are already various other glitch searches in the works.
- Ben is working on instructions to reviewers and will send.
$Id: minutes-2009-08-17.html,v 1.2 2009/08/17 16:56:53 owen Exp $