SGR 1806-20 Hyperflare Search Review Summary
Executive Committee Meeting 15 February 2006Current version of paper [ PDF ]. Recommendation: approve for submission to Physical Review D once the author list is determined and reference  is completed.
GWDAW 11, December 2006We reviewed the slides [ PDF ]. There are some changes we feel should be made to this presentation prior to final approval. We recommend provisional approval of this presentation pending resolution of the remaining issues identified by the review committee. These issues are:
- Fix the definition of hrss and its usage.
- Check the notion of energy sensitivity for conformance and correctness.
These items have been resolved in Version 7 of the presentation [ PDF ]. We recommend final approval of this presentation.
LSC November Meeting 2006Current version of paper [ PDF ]. This is not a final draft.
- Double check numbers and cross-reference to technical document
- Approve treatment of systematic effects (includes: fit errors in background parameters, treatment of outliers in background parameters, calibration errors)
- Check energetics
- Revise DQ flags?
- Someone else should look at code review material
LSC August Meeting 2006This is an update on the review of this search.
- Code review is in progress.
- Veto tuning and safety checked with a variety of waveform injections. Method is safe for long-duration (many seconds) signals.
- First look at results ... need careful examination
- Upper limit issue: in at least one case the on-source result is in a very low percentile of the background distribution. Many ways of dealing with this statistically. Need to select some procedure for handling this.
APS April Meeting 2006We have reviewed the poster [ PDF ]. We recommend approval of this presentation but we would like to consider the energetics statements further.
- We think we understand the values for the search sensitivity from first principles.
- Energetics: need to better understand emission from anticipated source. Do we have enough information about the source to make a more detailed energy estimate?
- Energetics: meaning of these values is unclear. They correspond to the minimum energy radiated in order for the source to be detected. But a range is given.... Text should be clarified.
- The fact that these results are estimates of sensitivity based on off-source measurements (rather than actual on-source results) needs to be made more visible.