LSC Algorithm Library Suite
LALSuite is comprised of various gravitational wave data analysis routines written in C following the ISO/IEC 9899:1999 standard, more commonly referred to as C99.
LALSuite is comprised of the following components:
- Core gravitational wave analysis routines
- LAL wrapping of the LIGO/Virgo Frame library
- LAL wrapping of the MetaIO LIGO_LW XML library
- LAL wrapping of the libxml2 XML library, currently unused
- LAL routines for gravitational waveform and noise generation
- LAL routines for burst gravitational wave data analysis
- LAL routines for detector characterisation
- LAL routines for inspiral and ringdown CBC gravitational wave data analysis
- LAL routines for pulsar and continuous wave gravitational wave data analysis
- LAL routines for Bayesian inference data analysis
- LAL routines for stochastic background gravitational wave data analysis
- Collection of gravitational wave data analysis codes and pipelines utilising the LAL libraries
The components of LALSuite can be obtained as a RPMs, Debs, tarball, or directly from the Git development repository. Developers should obtain LALSuite from Git.
Adam Mercer. Email: ram at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
The LAL Software Documentation (LSD) is the original LAL documentation. Newer functions are documented using doxygen. Unfortunately, not all of the original documentation has been moved over to doxygen yet.
The "Numerical Algorithms Library Specification and Style Guide" document (commonly known as the LAL Spec) contains the software specifications that code written for LAL should conform to.
The LALApps Documentation contains documentation of all the code available in LALApps. The version from the nightly build contains the most up-to-date information and the release version contains the documentation from the last LALApps release.
- Complete instructions for building LALSuite can be found here
- Doxygenated LALSuite from nightly build [HTML]
- LALApps Software Documentation from release 6.8.1 [PDF] (deprecated)
- Numerical Algorithms Library Specification and Style Guide (LIGO-T990030-v2) [PDF] [DCC]
LALSuite-6.23 was released on 3 March 2014, and is comprised of:
- LAL-6.12.0 [lal-6.12.0.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALFrame-1.1.1 [lalframe-1.1.1.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALMetaIO-1.2.0 [lalmetaio-1.2.0.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALXML-1.1.10 [lalxml-1.1.10.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALSimulation-1.1.0 [lalsimulation-1.1.0.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALBurst-1.2.2 [lalburst-1.2.2.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALDetChar-0.1.0 [laldetchar-0.1.0.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALInspiral-1.5.2 [lalinspiral-1.5.2.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALPulsar-1.9.0 [lalpulsar-1.9.0.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALInference-1.3.1 [lalinference-1.3.1.tar.gz] (released 3 March 2014)
- LALStochastic-1.1.10 [lalstochastic-1.1.10.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
- LALApps-6.14.0 [lalapps-6.14.0.tar.gz] (released 7 January 2014)
Previous releases can be found in the following directory.
Instructions for reporting bugs can be found in the file README.bugs.
Before you file a bug, please read through the list of current and previous bugs to determine if your bug has already been filed. If your bug does not exist, enter a bug report using the gnats bug entry page. If your bug exists and has not been fixed, add additional information to the existing bug. If your bug exists and has been fixed, upgrade to the version in the bug report to determine if the bug was properly fixed. If it was not, reopen the bug.
LALSuite is built nightly on a variety of platforms and using a variety of different compilers. Further information can be found here.
The old nightly build page provides information about the status of the code in Git and how well it builds on a variety of platforms. Further details regarding the systems that build LALSuite every night can be found here.
There are several mailing lists related to LALSuite development:
- LAL Announce: General LALSuite announcements, including releases (Subscibe/Unsubscribe)
- LAL Discuss: Discussions of modifying/using LALSuite (Subscribe/Unsubscribe) (Archive)
- DASWG: General Data Analysis Software discussion (Subscribe/Unsubscribe) (Archive)
- LALSuite-Commits: Commits to the LALSuite Git repository (Subscribe/Unsubscribe) (Archive)
The required software dependencies depend on which packages you wish to install, the core dependencies are:
Other dependencies that are needed for some of the sub packages are:
- FrameL - LIGO/Virgo Frame library (needed for LALFrame)
- MetaIO - LIGO_LW XML library (needed for LALMetaIO, LALBurst, LALInspiral, and LALStochastic)
- libxml2 - XML parsing library (needed for LALXML)
Instructions for building these software packages from source code can be found here. There also may be prebuilt binaries available for your platform, for more details please see the LSCSoft Repository pages here.
- Finish conversion of LALDoc documentation to doxygen
- Transition to C99 complex type (underway)
- Update of autotools build system to require specific versions, remove hacks that worked round bugs in earlier versions
- correct incremental rebuilds (i.e. edit a single file and rebuild correctly without "make clean")
- Enable SWIG bindings by default
- SWIG bindings for all libraries
- Transition to libxml2 for XML parsing
- Use FrameCPP for Frame I/O
- Investigate non-recursive make