The Stochastic Working Group is one of the joint analysis groups of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration and the Virgo Collaboration. The group focuses on searches for the stochastich background of gravitational waves. The stochastic background is expected to arise from a superposition of many incoherent astrophysical sources of gravitational waves, from different directions in the sky, and with different polarizations. It is also expected to be generated by a variety of cosmological processes, in which case it would carry unique information about the earliest moments of the evolution of the Universe.
OrganizationCurrent co-chairs of the Stochastic Group are Stefan Ballmer, Giancarlo Cella, and Vuk Mandic.
Mailing ListTo subscribe to the stochastic mailing list, please use this link. To write to the list, address it to "stochastic at ligo.caltech.edu". If you are not subscribed to the list, your messages will be held for approval by the moderator.
ILOG, wiki, and CVS RepositoryThe stochastic ilog is used to archive internal group notes including telecon minutes. The CVS repository is used to archive the source code for papers, presentations, parameter files, and other files used in different searches. The wiki is a more free-form forum that can be used in a similar manner as the ilog. For access, please contact the co-chairs of the Group.
TeleconsWeekly stochastic telecons take place on Wednesdays starting at 7:30am pacific, 4:30pm central european. The access information and the agenda is circulated to the group via the mailing list a day before the telecon.
- S5 LIGO-Virgo isotropic: An upper limit on the stochastic gravitational-wave background of cosmological origin , Nature 460, 990 (2009); arXiv:0910:5772.
- S4 LIGO isotropic: Searching for Stochastic Background of Gravitational Waves with LIGO , Astrophys. J. 659, 918 (2007) ; astro-ph/0608606.
- S4 LIGO radiometer: Upper limit map of a background of gravitational waves , Phys. Rev. D 76, 082003 (2007); astro-ph/0703234.
- S4 LIGO-ALLEGRO: First Cross-Correlation Analysis of Interferometric and Resonant-Bar Gravitational-Wave Data for Stochastic Backgrounds, Phys. Rev. D 76, 022001 (2007); gr-qc/0703068.
- S3 LIGO: Upper limits on a stochastic background of gravitational waves, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 221101 (2005); astro-ph/0507254.
- S1 LIGO: Analysis of first LIGO science data for stochastic gravitational waves , Phys. Rev. D 69, 122004 (2004); gr-qc/0312088.